The purpose of this course is to introduce trainees – particularly those people who have had little or no previous exposure to mining – to key pieces of heavy equipment most often used on mine sites and large construction projects. These work sites are busy places and may expose workers to a variety of hazards and dangers. Trainees need to have a clear understanding of how these machines work and interact, and common safety hazards to be aware of when working around them. It is usually a prerequisite to most other equipment courses.
Overall Course Specifications
Estimated length of training program: 1- 2 hours + final test
Number of test questions: 26
Printable Certificate of Completion: Yes
Final Exam Feedback report: Yes
Need to train a team?
Whether you're looking for a customized training program or developing a team, we have enterprise solutions to fit your needs.
Lesson 1: Introduction to Heavy Equipment
- Introduction to the course and work site safety.
Lesson 2: Heavy Equipment Types and Primary Uses
- Introduces seven types of earthmoving machines and explains how each plays a part in moving material in the mine:
- Crawler dozers
- Hydraulic excavators
- Motor graders
- Wheel loaders
- Rear-dump rigid frame haul trucks
- Articulated frame haul trucks
- Hydraulic face shovels.
Lesson 3: Work Site Safety
- Identifies key safety principles, including due diligence, engineered controls, administrative controls and personal protective equipment (PPE).
Lesson 4: Start Up and Shut Down
- Explains how heavy machinery responds to being started in cold weather and what can be done to transition it to operating temperature with the least amount of machine stress.
- Outlines important steps that must be followed when shutting down a machine after it has been working hard.
Upon completion of this course, you should be able to:
- Identify the key equipment types used in mine operations and related hazards
- Understand core safety principals and use of personal protective equipment (PPE).
- Identify operating principals common to most types of equipment.
Your cart is empty