As one of the most productive pieces of equipment on many sites, an excavator is designed to remove soil, load trucks, dig trenches, assist in demolition work, and so much more. Known for its versatility and ease of use, it can assist in many projects easily and efficiently.
This course is designed to help you become a skilled, productive, and safe excavator operator. As you work through this course, you'll learn about the machine, how it works, and how to inspect it. You'll also learn how to control and operate the excavator.
Overall Course Specifications:
Estimated length of training program: 1 – 2 hours + final test
Number of test questions: 22
Printable Certificate of Completion: Yes
Final Exam Feedback report: Yes
Upon completion of this course, you should be able to:
- Understand the importance of the excavator on the job site.
- Become familiar with the excavator components and controls.
- Learn how to perform a pre-use inspection.
- Learn the basic operating skills required of an excavator operator.
Lesson 1: Introduction
- Review the content of the entire course.
- Overview of the excavator, safety aspects, and the importance of reading the operator’s manual.
Lesson 2: Getting to Know Your Excavator
- Identification of the excavator’s main components.
- Identification of the essential operator controls.
- Identification of instrumentation and gauges.
- Description of warning levels and instruction on what to do should one occur during operation.
Lesson 3: Pre-use and Post-use Inspection
- Discussion of the importance of a pre-use inspection.
- Discussion of the importance of wearing personal protective equipment.
- Description of how to conduct a proper pre-use inspection of the machine.
- Discussion of how to recognize and report any mechanical problems with the excavator.
Lesson 4: Operation
- Description of how to start and warm up the machine.
- Description of how to move the machine’s components.
- Description of how to travel in the excavator, including sharp turns, forward travel, and reverse travel.
- Description of how to travel on slopes and inclines.
- Description of how to park, cool down, and shut down the excavator.
Lesson 5: Digging, Trenching, and Lifting
- Discussion of preparing for daily tasks.
- Description of the dig cycle and how to complete it.
- Discussion of trenching procedures and safety.
- Discussion of lifting procedures.
Lesson 6: Loading and Other Tasks
- Identification of proper loading methods.
- Discussion of best use for each loading method.
- Identification of truck loading positions.
- Description of load placement.
- Description of mixing materials.
- Identification of excavator attachments.
Final Exam – 22 question exam with incorrect response feedback
Although we recommend that you take the following prerequisite courses, this course is suitable for anyone with an interest in equipment operation and safety.
- Recommended prerequisite courses:
- Heavy Equipment – Introduction and Safety
- Heavy Equipment – Pre-Use Inspection.
Your cart is empty