Updated in 2020 to the new Mobile Elevating Work Platform (MEWP) standard. Mobile Elevating Work Platforms (MEWPs a.k.a. AWPs) are incredibly versatile machines. But they’re also among the most dangerous for workers, because of the risks of tip-overs and falls.
As an operator, you need to make sure that you are properly trained to operate the MEWP and able to operate in a safe work area. Your employer must follow specific standards about the training you Some requirements state that you need to be trained in the following areas: The use of fall protection and the acknowledgement of the location of fall protection anchors. Factors, including how your actions can affect the stability of the equipment. Safe use of the MEWP accessories you may be assigned to use. Site specific work procedures the occupants must follow related to the operation of the MEWP. Hazards related to the task at hand and how to avoid them. Manufacturer's warnings and instructions. At least one of the occupants must be provided with the knowledge to operate the controls in an emergency when the operator cannot.
Overall Course Specifications:
Estimated length of training program: 1 – 2 hours + final test
Number of test questions: 25
Printable Certificate of Completion: Yes
Final Exam Feedback report: Yes
Upon completion of this course, you should be able to:
• Identify and understand aerial work platform features, functions and major components
• Understand key safety topics related to pre-use inspection and start up and shut down
• Understand the steps for safe, efficient and productive operation of the aerial work platform
Lesson 1: Introduction
- Introduce the MEWP and overall safety components
- Overview of the operator responsibilities for safety and operation
Lesson 2: Getting to Know Your MEWP
• Identify the types of MEWPs and the classification groups
• Examine all the components and controls and proper usage
Lesson 3: Pre-use Inspection
• Discuss reasons for pre-use inspection
• Identify proper pre-use inspection process
• Examine areas to look for during the inspection process
Lesson 4: Start Up and Shut Down
• Preparing the machine
• Starting the machine from the ground control panel
• Starting the machine in cold weather
- Parking and proper shut down procedures
Lesson 5: Function Testing
• Discuss proper ways to function test, including:
• Select a suitable location for function testing.
• Follow step-by-step procedures to test all machine functions.
• Perform function tests at both the ground and platform controls.
• Never use a malfunctioning machine.
• A malfunctioning machine must be tagged and removed from service.
Lesson 6: Machine Operation
• Preparing to operate a mobile elevating work platform.
• Traveling on the jobsite.
• Operating on slopes.
• Controlling machine direction of travel.
• Understanding specifications and limitations.
• Understanding warning indicators.
• The importance of using a safety harness and lanyard.
• Using remote utility connections.
Final Exam – 25 question exam with incorrect response feedback
Although we recommend that you take the following prerequisite courses, this course is suitable for anyone with an interest in equipment operation and safety.
- Recommended prerequisite courses:
- Heavy Equipment – Introduction and Safety
- Heavy Equipment – Pre-Use Inspection
Your cart is empty